University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Renaissance Computing Institute (RENCI)
Senior Computational and Networked Systems Researcher
Position # 01004433
The position involves research and development within the area of the system software stack for large-scale technical computing systems, spanning a range from programming interfaces to new hardware up to programming models, languages, and compilers.
The topics include (but are not limited to):
- Resilient distributed systems
- Novel network architectures and protocols
- Applied numerical optimization methods
- Computer architecture Compilers
- Programming Languages Runtimes
- Computational Science Methods and Libraries
- Performance Measurement and Analysis on emerging, very large systems
The position will lead the research and development of new algorithms and software architectures to support these applications on a variety of underlying infrastructures, designing and implementing novel performance measurement techniques at multiple layers (application, end-host runtime, multiple networking layers), and adapting existing applications to use these architectures. The position is also responsible for generating new funding from a variety of sources (NSF, DOE, other government agencies) by driving and leading in proposal-generation activities.
Educational Requirements: PhD in Computer Science or related field, or MS or B.S. in Computer Science or related field with at least 5 years documented track record of relevant practical experience.
Qualifications & Experience Requirements: The candidate is expected to have significant in-depth knowledge and experience in several of the following areas:
- Domain Knowledge:
- Distributed systems architectures and algorithms
- Networking concepts (TCP IP, Layer 2, transport networks, optical networks)
- Practical experience with OS (Linux) software development (e.g. drivers, networking stack)
- Operating system design, implementation, and interfaces
- Programming language implementations: compilers and or runtime support
- Performance measurement, analysis, and tuning
- Large-scale technical computing applications and or systems.
- Software Design And Implementation:
- Practical software design practices (automated build and test procedures)
- Programming language experience: C and C ; Java (various frameworks, container technologies, web services)
- Scripting languages (Perl, Python others)
- Experience with OS Drivers
- Communication Skills:
- Successfully working in a collaborative multi-disciplinary research environment
- Writing scientific papers for publication
- Writing technical proposals
To apply for this position, please visit our website: www.jobs.unc.edu. Please reference position # 01004433 and Renaissance Computing Institute #637100 or click on the following direct link URL from any internet browser to apply for the position: http://unc.peopleadmin.com/postings/81764
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, race, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.
Consideration of candidates will begin immediately, and will continue until the search has been successfully concluded.