This position will focus on architecting, deploying, maintaining and documenting cyberinfrastructure in AWS and GCP. The primary tools of the trade will be open source software (Linux, Docker, Ansible, etc.) and the services offered by the respective cloud vendors. The position will support RENCI projects that need to utilize cloud infrastructure.
- The candidate will ensure stack deployments follow best practices that result in secure and scalable platforms.
- Monitor resource usage, set budgets, manage accounts and stay on top of new service developments from AWS and GCP.
- Ensure performance standards by configuring auto-scaling to meet varying Load requirements.
There will also be opportunities to learn and work with infrastructure located on-premise in our 2,000 sqft. datacenter. This includes NetApp and Isilon NAS clusters, Linux servers and HPC clusters, VMware and network infrastructure. This position is part of the RENCI IT group. We currently stand at six and are expanding.
Relevant post-Baccalaureate degree required; for candidates demonstrating comparable background in academic or research computing management, will accept a relevant undergraduate degree and 3 or more years of relevant experience in substitution.
Qualifications and Experience
We are looking for an individual with hands on experience working in GCP and AWS. A Linux sysadmin background is a plus.
- Strong understanding of the AWS product and service suite (EC2, S3, VPC, CloudFormation, RDS, Lambda, Redshift, EMR, SQS, SNS etc.) and their applicable use cases, best practices and implementation, and support considerations.
- Experience hosting an application on GCP using Compute Engine, App Engine, Cloud SQL, Kubernetes Engine and Cloud Storage.
- Linux System Administration is a plus (CentOS/RedHat)
- 3+ years working with cloud technologies
- Experience with infrastructure monitoring tools. (Splunk, Nagios or AWS CloudWatch, etc.)
- Networking principles and protocols such as IP subnetting, routing, firewall rules, Virtual Private Cloud, LoadBalancer, Cloud DNS, Cloud CDN, etc.
- Security best practices (MFA, least privilege)
- NAS Storage (Isilon, NetApp, NFS)
Equal Opportunity Employer
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.
For more information and to apply, please visit https://unc.peopleadmin.com/postings/155789.