The Research Data Architect will work with colleagues with expertise in data analytics, advanced computing including cloud computing systems, software engineering and domain expertise in the biomedical and environmental sciences.. The Research Data Architect will work in interdisciplinary teams, promoting innovation and collaboration.
- Work with colleagues to develop tools and methods to enhance data interoperability.
- Collaborate with software engineers and researchers to help design data systems to advance scientific discovery.
- Manage a data contribution forecasting and tracking system to allow effective resource allocation across consortia that support data sharing.
- Provide leadership in metadata analysis and standards, as well as knowledge representation.
- Contribute to interdisciplinary teams; be a team player.
- Train data contributors on the application of data standards and relevant tools.
- Contribute to proposals and business development efforts.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
Relevant post-Baccalaureate degree required (or foreign degree equivalent); for candidates demonstrating comparable independent research productivity, will accept a relevant Bachelor’s degree (or foreign degree equivalent) and 3 or more years of relevant experience in substitution. May require terminal degree and licensure.
Required Qualifications, Competencies, and Experience
- Data structure and algorithm design with Python or another major programming language.
- Relational, graph, and key-value datastores.
- Container orchestration with Kubernetes.
- Horizontally scalable microservices and REST services.
- Understanding of Data Management and Data Governance approaches and tooling.
- Experience working on ‘Big Data platforms’, enabling non-technical users to gain insight into research data.
- Knowledge of Federated/ distributed Data EcoSystems (FAIR Compliant).
Preferred Qualifications, Competencies, and Experience
BS in Computer Science, Information Science, Bioinformatics or related discipline and 6 years of experience or an MS and 3 years of experience.
- Map-reduce based computation models like Spark.
- Search engine elements like Elasticsearch and dense vectors.
- Biological knowledge graphs and semantic web technologies
- Analysis of omics data, including sequence assembly and analysis, and/ or phenotype data analysis
To apply for this position, please visit https://unc.peopleadmin.com/postings/217333.