The Renaissance Computing Institute at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is seeking an experienced Research Project Manager to report in to its Project Management Office. This position will be responsible for managing one or more highly complex research and team science coordination projects to include, but not limited to:NIH Data Commons, Data STAGE, STAGE Coordinating Center, Data Translator and Data Reasoner.
- Incumbent will manage day-to-day operations for these projects in collaboration with RENCI PI’s to include scheduling meetings, running meetings, taking notes, capturing action items, communication with all teams, maintaining Trello boards and follow up.
- The candidate will develop the project management strategy, develop supporting business case and detailed project plans and manage project execution to ensure adherence to budget, schedule, reporting and scope in collaboration with Strategic Program Coordinator.
- Monitor and track project milestones and deliverables.
- Recognize areas for internal improvement and develop plans for implementing updated or new processes and methods to facilitate project outcomes.
- Confer with project personnel to identify and resolve problems.
- This position will work with RENCI Finance and RENCI PI’s to develop project budgets, supervise project resources assuring projects stay on track and within budget.
- Provide program management to include strategic planning, communications, outreach to the Data Commons, Data Translator, Data STAGE, STAGE Coordinating Center and Data Reasoner communities and help manage team relations. Will work with Strategic Program Coordinator.
- Work with RENCI teams to write reports and provide additional project management to RENCI proposal process to include tracking and gathering of required materials, and creation of final documents.
- Provide event planning to execute NIH related events (workshops, hack-a-thons and cross team multi-institutional meetings) and other RENCI events as required.
-Incumbent should be highly motivated, a strategic thinker, a team player, able to make decisions and a demonstrated problem solver.
Post-Baccalaureate degree or relevant undergraduate degree and 3 or more years of relevant experience.
Qualifications and Experience
Project planning and management:
- Ability to plan and manage large multi-faceted and specialized projects and events.
- Ability to analyze and report project risks and to recommend risk mitigation measures.
- Ability to manage day to day business operations of project.
- Proven ability to lead complex project initiatives, develop and implement program strategies, and manage multiple projects simultaneously is required.
- Ability to work with various service providers in order to deliver a quality event.
- Ability to negotiate contracts for services. Ability to assist with the research, development, and execution of proposals.
- Internal and External Communications (written and oral), Client Engagement
- Ability to constructively engage research project staff to facilitate project outcomes.
- Ability to understand internal workings of the department in relation to the external expectations of the clients and stakeholders.
- Ability to establish and maintain a variety of positive and constructive working relationships.
- Ability to write up and promote a wide variety of media for projects and events.
- Thorough knowledge of the methods and techniques of planning, writing and editing and producing content.
- Ability to edit and analyze informational materials or content.
- Ability to write according to correct English usage and appropriate style guide or accepted industry standards.
- Assist with routine project reporting.
- Ability to use and incorporate various hardware and software packages in support of project outcomes.
- Familiarity with a range of project management tools, particularly online tools.
- Ability to research and identify relevant new technologies and make recommendations for use and purchase.
PMP Certification preferred. Prefer three years’ experience in project management and/or program coordination and organization. Prefer demonstrated competence in planning events and workshops. Experience with contract negotiation a plus.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.
For more information and to apply, please visit http://unc.peopleadmin.com/postings/148397.